View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dave520
Awaiting Email Confirmation

So many failed attempts...

Hi,
I'm new to these forums. I just poured a case of good beer down the drain, I want to quit drinking once and for all. I've missed the past two days of work from a drinking binge, in fact, I've been missing a lot of work lately due to my drinking. I've tried so many times in the past to quit, but I always end up going back to my old ways. I'm a bad drunk, I mostly drink alone until I'm blacked out.
I miss my sober self, everything was so much better when I was in that state.

I find that I drink out of boredom and the fact that I'm lonely. I find that I drink also to shut off my mind. Sometimes my mind just won't stop racing. Any advice on staying sober for good? I've only been able to stay sober for about 2 months in the past 13 years. (the reason why I was sober for that long was how guilty I felt after what an event that took place at a party) I'm scared of what will happen to me if I keep drinking. I've gotten behind the wheel so many times drunk it's unbelievable that I haven't gotten a DUI or got into an accident.

A few people have suggested AA, but I find it hard for me to do something like that. A bunch of people sitting around talking about drinking, I think it would make me want to drink. I've read Allen Carrs book on quitting drinking, but that only lasted for a few weeks. Would substituting alcohol with something else, like, marijuana be the answer? I feel like such a loser, why can't I overcome this addiction? Help, support anything, please!