Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DRI

Can an alcoholic ever drink again in moderation?

Hello everyone,

I'm 36 years old, and I was/am an alcoholic. The last drink I had was in August of 2007, so it's been about 2 1/2 years.

What I'd like to know is if there are any former alcoholics that have ever returned to 'casual', or 'social' drinking and been able to keep it under control?

I used to go out to bars all the time and drink, but my real problems started when I began to drink alone, and basically got drunk nearly everyday by myself at home in front of my computer listening to music, and while surfing online.

Once it got to the point that I was always drinking alone, I would rarely ever drink in a social setting anymore, unless people nearly literally dragged me out of the house.

What I'd like to know is if it would be possible for me to try to drink again in a social setting only. I know some people might say, well, I've been off the drink for over 2 years, so why even bother risking it?

Well, part of the reason is that my social life has suffered somewhat since I don't go out much, and I used to like having the feeling of a little buzz while being at a bar and talking to girls. Part of my problem is that I'm a little shy by nature, and alcohol would really help me overcome that so that I found talking to girls easier.

Are there any success stories of former alcoholics being able to try to drink again but keep it under control? For me, the beginning of the end would be the day I brought a bottle home and started to drink alone, but I think that if I only drank in social situations that I would be ok.

Any advice/stories/opinions would be greatly appreciated.