Thread: Valentines Day
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
freya

Whether I have a partner or not I always give everyone living at my house at the time something for Valentine's Day. I get gift bags and cards and then put a gift (nothing big -- maybe like a t-shirt or CD or earrings or a book, etc...), some candy (something different for each person, depending on what they like) and the card in people's gift bags and put them at their place at the kitchen table during the night, so that, when they get up on Valentine's morning, the stuff is there for them.

This year it's just me, my mom, and my partner.....but in years past it has also included my kids and anyone else who's staying here (At various times we've had people early in recovery, women escaping abusive relationships, and/or friends of my kids who were in town for special programs/events or just needed to get away from home for a bit.).

Yeah, it's cutesy -- but it's not a "love" story in the stereotypical sense. My family tends to really get into holidays....any reason to decorate a bit and to show the people with whom God has graced our lives that we care about them and recognize them for the blessings that they are is a good one, as far as I'm concerned.

...and none of this means that we don't so stuff for each other all the time either. I don't really get where this either/or mentality about holidays comes from. Sure, if you don't do anything for anybody any other time, then it's just hypocrisy to do something just because it's a holiday and it's expected or you're afraid you'll be guilted-out by someone if you don't...but if the feeling is real and sincere and acted-upon on a regular basis, that certainly doesn't mean it's not nice/fun/special/whatever to have a certain day to act on it more formally and more consciously.

freya