View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Spawn

Originally Posted by SkiStop View Post
Do you avoid any hobbies now that you do not drink?

I really enjoy working in my garage. I've created a pretty nice work space and built up a nice collection of tools. I've built bookshelves, a bench, a cabinet and various other things for the yard and house, and then stained and finished them, too.

I've really enjoyed doing this, but it's always been a hobby I do while drinking beer. I used to turn on the radio to my favorite station, pop open a 12-back of beer, and get to work. I would work for hours with intense focus while I got drunker and drunker. Even though I had to re-do some work, the finished products all turned out pretty nice (at least, my wife has been impressed).

I'm not sure I would enjoy this hobby without the drinking part of it. In fact, looking back, it's hard to say whether it was more about the drinking than the actual woodworking.

I do have other hobbies that do not go with drinking, most of them being outdoors/exercise stuff. I like to ski, hike, bike, etc.

It seems silly to avoid woodworking, but I'm afraid that I'll get no enjoyment from it now or, worse, it will trigger cravings. Maybe in time I'll be able to do it again?
Hobbies are cool! Since I've gotten into recovery I picked up an old child-hood hobby,....I build model cars.