Thread: Reawakenings
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NightStalker

Reawakenings

I'm only 40something days into sobriety this time around, but each time I've gotten time under my belt, I have a experienced a reawakening of childhood interests that I have been driven to fulfil as an adult.

For example, remember the TV show "I Dream of Jeannie"? Growing up, we had a bottle just like hers, and I was fascinated with it. One day, though, I accidentally kicked over an ashtray and shattered the bottle to pieces. Heartbroken, I put the pieces in a box, intending to try and glue them back together again. When I returned home from school the next day, I found, to my horror, that my mom had thrown the box away, and it was in the community dumpster. I frantically rode my bike the mile or so to the dumpster and climbed in, searching for the broken bottle, but never found it.

In sobriety, that memory reawakened, and I discovered that I could find those bottles now on eBay, so I ordered one right away. When I received it, I slept with it close to my bed for awhile, so that it would be the first thing I saw upon awakening. It gave me a sense of completion and fufillment.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?