View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Saddler

I just had to chime in on this one - in the garage and doing yard work were my FAVORITE places/settings to drink. I felt like I could get a lot done (at least early on in the evening), so who cared if I had to spend the next day in bed doing nothing.

Drunk garage work sent me to the hospital once (nothing too major, just needed some stitches in my face), really p*ssed off my neighbors (I would fire up one of my Mustangs and rev it at crazy hours, lucky I did not blow up the motor one night), and resulted in me putting more than a few unnecessary scratches in paint. I also forgot to tighten up a oil drain plug on our truck; I never noticed it was only hand tight until my next (drunken) oil change. By some miracle it never came out.

Drunk yard work really escalated my drinking I think. When I moved into my first house, I was happy drinking 2 24oz beers while mowing (riding) our ~half acre yard. By the time we moved into our second house, I definitely needed about 4 24ozers to mow about the same size yard, and once the yard was done I would have to go out and get more beer or drink whatever was left in the house. But I had "fun".

Last summer was my first alcohol-free summer, and I can say that the yard did get mowed much less (but enough), basically it was because it is really not a lot of fun actually mowing. But, I could get it done in about half the time because I was not taking beer-and-smoke breaks.

I managed to stay in the garage a lot more post-alcohol, at least while it was warm outside. During my early recovery, I think I tried to "build" my way out of it. I built some really nice workbenches in my garage, generally cleaned things up, etc. I also drove my "fun" cars a lot more (and sober). I finally wentback drag racing for the 1st time in over 20 years, something not possible when I was drunk one day, hung over the next.

A new hobby I have is Karate, I have been doing it with my 7yo son (our classes are same days back-to-back), and it is definitely NOT something you can do hung over (or drunk, obviously). I am not going to allow myself to let him down by quitting, and the only thing that would make me quit is if I allow myself to return to my old drinking ways. We started last summer and earned our 1st belts right before Christmas, by the way.

Sorry, long post. Nice to have a place to vent.