Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

Hi nicegirl. Welcome to this sight.

Have you gotten any counseling for yourself regarding the incident? I'm sure somewhere in the back of your mind you must be questioning the fact that someone robbed you at gunpoint while high on crack cocaine, and yet you have continued to have relationship with him and visit him in prison?

Around here - we talk a lot about the 3 Cs.

You didn't cause his addiction.
You can't control his addiction.
You can't cure his addiction.

Just something to think about. Protect yourself first. A "man" is not worth getting your head shot off for crack cocaine. And even though you really really love him, that love may be unhealthy and downright dangerous.

And LOVE cannot save someone from addiction.

Crack cocaine is very dangerous. It makes people delusional when they use it. And it is very difficult to quit. People go to prison and then they go back to using almost immediately when they get out and pick up right where they left off in the psychosis. What I'm saying is relapses happen all the time.

My ex has been in and out of prison for years because of his crack addiction. And everytime he is in prison he is the sweetest, most loving man alive. He 'finds' Jesus in prison. He "changes". He sends me long loving letters about what a fool he's been and how he's attending AA meetings and committed to his recovery.

But then he gets out and freedom is too much for him. He makes contact with his crack-friends and he's off to the races again.

He ditches his son and that it.

I strongly encourage you to seek out face to face support in the form of alanon or naranon meetings. There is also a great book called "Co-dependent No More" by Melanie Beattie which may answer many of your questions about addiction.

And please be careful. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. And sure, people can change. But that means you too. Change starts with you.

In my state, if a crime is committed with a gun, there is an automatic mandatory 10 years added onto the sentence. After reading many of the stories on this website, I can tell you I am really greatful for that. People who are high on crack do not know right from wrong and as you know, they will do ANYTHING to get more crack. Including kill you.

Keep reading and posting and glad you found this website.