Thread: Hello.
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Soph

Hi Ski Stop. Welcome. I am also new to sobriety, am also a parent. If you are truly worried about your health and long term consequences then yes you should be here.

I actually got here finally by way of attending al anon meetings (am daughter of an alcoholic dad and have had many alcoholic boyfriends) and what really got to me, was listening to so many people talk about their parents, and watching their parents disintegrate, and all the fighting and tension and on and on...I thought "Holy crap, what if 15 years from now this is MY SON complaining about me?!" See - I love my glass of wine every night...and even though I never got so bad as, like passing out drunk in front of him or awakening naked in the yard or other embarrassing possibilities..there is always that word "yet" - which they say means "you're eligible too!"

So I thought, the heck with it. My son is more important than any glass of anything. And yes, it is hard, especially in the evening or in a social setting, but that's cause I am still newly sober. But all I have to do is look at my darling son and think, I will always be here for him - not passed out or dead or in jail. But right here.

So that helps me.

See ya around here, I hope! And I hope your wife is supportive too :-) that helps.