Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

You hit the nail on the head when you said it's like we've lost a lover. Have you sat down and wrote a goodbye letter to the pills? May sound crazy, but it helped me. Let it know what it's cost you so far. . . the reasons you went into detox. That may help. I was addicted to opiates for 25 years so I cost me quite a bit.

As far as the up and down moods, you're right where you're supposed to be. When you get those urges, it's your disease calling out to you. It wants you back really bad. But don't let it win. That's where the old One Day at A Time comes in. Each day, hour, minute that you don't use, congratulate yourself. You mentioned that you're reading, are you doing anything else for yourself? I would take long, hot baths with my book, scented candles, lots of bubbles, deep condition my hair, etc. Let the family know that the bathroom will be occupied for say 45 minutes and if they need to use it, go now or forever hold their pee! lol Do you like to have your nails done? Use the money you would have spent on pills and go have your nails done. Get yourself the next book you may like to read.

You're doing great so hang in there. It's gonna be a bumpy road but believe me, the end results are soooooo worth it. Sorry to hear about your pet. That has to be hard.

God Bless,
Judy