View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Donna, as suggested see a Dr. & be totally honest with the Dr.

The biggest key to getting and staying sober is being brutally honest with your self and politely honest with others.

The second key is to be open minded!!! Do not decide "I am not going to try that, I do not think I will like that." Open your mind and give it an honest try.

The third key is to be willing! Be willing to take suggestions, be willing to do what ever it takes to get & stay sober.

If I had not been honest with myself and admit I had a drinking problem I would never have called a Dr. I had to be willing to tell the Dr. the TRUTH about my drinking.

I had to be open minded and willing to go into detox as the Dr. suggested I do. In detox I had to be willing to learn from them. I had to be open minded and willing to follow the suggestion that the folks in detox gave me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

I darn sure was not thrilled about going to AA and getting a sponsor.... but I was so sick & tired of being a drunk that I did as they suggested.

In AA I was given a great many suggestions, most of them I followed right away, some I never followed, but there were some that it took me some time and further pain before I was willing to try them, but I did and they worked!!!!

AA is not the only program on the block, there are others, give which ever program you choose an HONEST try, if you find you do not like the program you are working after a couple of months, try another program.

One thing to always keep in mind when working a program, never say that a program does not work for you UNLESS you have honestly worked the entire program to the best of your ability.