Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BadCompany

Originally Posted by mdean View Post
Hello All,
my book says "our way of living has its advantages for all". our 3rd tradition directs that we "ought to include" that is inclusive statement not exclusive.

if we start to set requirements for our membership (based on what delusoinal folks tell us) we might miss a few real alcoholics whose lives will depend on membership.

peace and tolerance,
Mike
I can appreciate that point of view, and it had it's merits. The problem comes when we have people in our meetings that are not alcoholics, have no idea of the scope of this disease and still feel qualified to offer their "Oprah" solutions around our tables.

I'm in a situation right now with some cat that had a medical episode that concerned small amounts of alcohol and has joined the program and has decided to call himself an alcoholic. He came here because he had a desire to stop drinking. We both have equal access to a noob struggling through their first days of sobriety. Mr."two drinks and I have a problem" may have the best of intentions, but he has no idea what this noob is going through or how much they are hurting right now. More than that he has no respect for the dynamic that occurs in the recovery from alcoholism. It has no value to him because he doesn't need it.

I care about that noobs life. I care nothing about anyones feelings, ego, or sensibilities when it comes to this program. Pretty easy to see that he is going open his mouth and get crossways with me in the near future. Tolerance will be in short supply as he finds that Bad Company isn't just an internet moniker for me.