View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
keithj

My experience, both in taking the 12 Steps myself and working with others through them, is that those Steps get uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with that. They are intended to bring about a vast emotional displacement and upheaval. They are intended to bring us into conscious contact with a higher power.

It seems like almost without fail, everyone hits a point in the Steps where it gets real scary and real uncomfortable. Not to worry. Some people think that's the ego resisting change, the addict voice fighting for control, or even the devil himself exercising influence. I don't know about those things. I just know that if you are able to hang on and keep making forward progress, instead of hiding away and not looking at the dark places in your life, you can experience an awakening that will revolutionize your outlook on life. It will also solve your drink problem, but that's beside the point.

I worry about those folks who seem to just breeze along saying everything is great. I'm much more hopeful for those that experience some distress while doing the work required. You're just fine, kjell. Look at the dark places fearlessly, because you're no longer doing this alone. You're tapping a new resource that will give you the needed courage.