View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
helpformyson

relatives wanting to know where he is

I am the mother of a 23 year old intravenous opiate user, who is currently in jail (5th time). He has been using for 6 years.

When I divorced my son's alcoholic/drug using, cheating father, his family stopped communicating with me. I truly loved his parents as though they were my own and it hurt.

Last year, when my son was attempting sobriety, he told his father that he no longer could be in his life, because he is a bad influence. They used to get high together and his father has had so many DUI's, he had to have one of those gizmos that you have to blow into to start your car. My ex-husband is so warped, he also used to pick up women in bars, bring them home and have sex in front of my son and my son's friends.

During the past six years of my son using, he has been in and out of jail and consequently out of touch with my ex's family for most of the holidays. This past Thanksgiving and Christmas, evidently my son never called his grandparents, aunts or uncles. Tomorrow is my son's birthday.

Last night, one of my son's aunts called looking for my son. (I haven't heard from her in 10 years). She left a message on my phone that they had not heard from him for quite some time and were really concerned and would I please call her back.

I know that they all love my son, but I am not sure if it is my place to call her back and inform them of his addiction and that he is in jail. I am not sure what my son's father has told his own parents, brothers and sisters, about our son. My ex-husband is a pathological, compulsive liar and is excellent at covering up problems.

What should I do? Call them and tell them or let sleeping dogs lie. I know this will break their hearts, but I am not comfortable telling them about my son's problems.

Any advice?