View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Anodyne

My Cravings will return

I had this thought today, and I wrote it down. I thought I'd share for others in early recovery.

The alcoholic does not lose every craving he will ever have even after he has accepted step 1, regardless of how I feel now and have since I accepted I was powerless and would never be a normal drinker, I –will- have a craving again someday, probably many in the months of early sobriety to come.

I accept this as a fact and a part of the disease, not a character or moral failing on my part. That they will happen is not a detriment to my recovery, it is how I handle them that will be either positive or negative. Today I think toward the future, when I do get an inevitable craving, if it gets bad, I will do one of the following: 1. Talk to my mom about it. 2. Call someone from AA. 3. Call J. 4. Call Dr. O. 5. Go exercise or clean instead. 6. Drive over to the jail and take a good look at where I will be if I give in to the craving. The craving will pass, and I will have grown just a bit in my sobriety.