View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

Maintaining Recovery

Hi everyone!

I have been doing some of my usual mind muddling and wonder if I can get some input. Recently, I have read about some members who, IMHO, had some decent sobriety under their belts (6 months to 2 years, maybe even more) and then relapsed. I've always been the kind of person that once I've gotten myself going in a particular direction, am able to maintain momentum. But this scares me. I know that my alcoholism is like a dormant volcano and I have no doubt that with one drink, I would fall hard and fast and I want to be proactive and avoid that.

I am a member of AA and have done most of the Steps (1-7). I also do a lot of self-help books, as well as therapy and online forums. I try to keep recovery as part of my daily living, to the best of my ability and never take my sobriety for granted.

Getting sober was harder for me than maintaining sobriety (so far, at least). What would make someone, who has a fairly firm foundation, choose to go back to a hellhole? I hope that I will never suffer from the delusion that I am cured, becasue I know that that isn't possible. That being said, I know myself well enough to realize that I want to address and issue and then be done with it, but I know that my alcoholism can't be "treated" that way.

What more can I do to insure that I don't lose this precious gift?