View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

WOW! This thread sure has went every which way, hasn't it? Good discussions though.

This is really basically baloney. While I think "working a program" is great for some, living life to the fullest is the goal. For many a program is not needed nor wanted. There are also others so wrapped up in program they forget about fully living life.
My Program of Recovery is getting up in the morning and reading the day's meditation in "Just For Today" Then I have my morning "talk" with God, who is my Higher Power. I ask Him to help me not only stay clean and sober throughout the day, but also to do the next best right thing. Throughout my day, I do talk with God quite often, not like the foxhole talks I used to have, "If you help me get out of this, I'll never do such and such again." I also am available 24/7 to someone who needs to talk, who may be having a crisis or wanting to use. Since I've been in Recovery, part of my Program also includes random acts of kindness to strangers. When I was using, I never gave a damn about anyone else except Judy. Everything was me, me, me! Part of my Program is coming on SR to not only share something that may help the Newcomer, but to remind myself that I'm just one bad choice away from a relapse. In the evenings, I read out of my Nightlight Meditation Book. Then, I take the time to thank God for getting me through the day w/out picking up and I thank Him for every single Blessing I have received throughout the day. I recently found a Church where I feel comfortable. I go to Celebrate Recovery there on Thursday Nights and on Tuesday Evenings, I am in a Step Study Program. I am always open to different ways of helping to maintain the Peace and Serenity I have found in my Recovery. I will occassionally go to an AA or NA Meeting as well.

I am living my life to the fullest! Even though I live with severe pain on a daily basis due to several pelvic fractures, Degenerative Disc Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis, the pain from these diseases is nothing compared to the pain I experienced during the 32 years I used. If you consider My Program of Recovery baloney,that's your opinion. But My Program of Recovery is obviously working for me because it's kept me Clean & Sober for the past 4.5 years. If hopping on one foot each morning while singing the National Anthem is what keeps someone from picking up, then so be it.

God Bless,
Judy