Thread: Alcohol in Food
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NEJeeper

Looking back I have had two dishes with alcohol and not even thought of it until now. My friend in AA's girlfriend made us chicken marsala. My mom also uses wine in her marinara sauce, both of which are cooked down quite a bit.

I spoke to several AA's last night and we came to the conclusion that it is a personal choice, most people are not bothered by it, but it would become a problem if one was seeking out food with alcohol in it.

I really thought about this because my mom knew an alcoholic in recovery about 15 years ago and this woman came over for dinner and wouldn't eat the marinara sauce because it had wine in it.

And to crackquack, I am a biology student, I use ethyl alcohol on a regular basis for the preservation of living things or to use in chemistry, but it is not a big deal. Once two years ago I had a short lived thought of taking a shot of it as I worked diligently in a laboratory for 6 hours identifying macro-invertebrates, but I definitely did not for a variety of reasons. This stuff is pretty much pure alcohol, like everclear. I think it would be on par with taking a shot of 87 octane lol.