View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
meanders

Hi Kae,

Just a couple things...

Big lesson I finally learned- just because you have been a chronic relapser, does not mean you will be. I just reached 6 months a few days ago and had never made it that long since I was 13 or 14 years old. The fact that I had failed at sobriety in the past kept me in a pretty bad cycle... it seemed hopeless. It absolutely doesn't have to be, though.

When I first started trying to get sober I think I was 25 (29 now). I remember thinking that I was "too young" to "really" get sober then. Boy, I wish I hadn't spent the next few years miserably testing that theory! But alas. I did go into treatment and met a great guy who was kicking meth. He was also about to turn 21. I can still remember I had such a clear picture of how that was going to work out... a little drinking (my problem's meth, not beer! I'm 21 years old!), followed by maybe some pot, then the drug of choice. That good-hearted guy was in jail the last time I spoke to his step-mom.

Finally, meetings are great, but I am curious as to why no-one has addressed what your mother may be afraid of... It is my concern also: Find and stick with long sober people (old-timers). There is no reason at this point to hook up with or socialize with other newcomers. Especially, and I hate to say it, younger ones. This is also from personal experience. I met a girl my age at a meeting and we ended up drinking together rather quickly.

So, I understand where you're coming from all around (though my DOC is alcohol). I firmly stand behind each my suggestions and wish the best for you. This forum is a great place to both learn about your addiction and take your mind off it. I don't know if that makes sense... Sharing and reading helps relieve some of the anxiety for me.

Oh, and I remember when I could get a month or two together I would tell my mother about it and always got shot down. Her response? "That's what people do. They get up and go to work. They don't drink all day. What do you want from me?" My kinda sad philosophy about dealing with a lack of familial support? Don't go to the well when you know there isn't water there.