Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Originally Posted by AlonebutHopeful View Post
I have one more question and then I'll leave this debate to those who know what they are talking about (I had no idea this could be a touchy subject, so I do apologize for that). When I go to NA and someone is talking about cocaine addiction, would I not be able to identify with them becuause I was able to put cocaine down? There are a number of drugs I have done and put down. Just like alcohol. It's pain pills that have their claws in me. By the rationalization that alcoholics are so different, shouldn't we have sub groups for all the different drugs? Or. do we?

ABH, I do know there is a CA "sub group" known as Cocaine Annonymous and I think one for Marijuana too, I am unsure. Anyway, I don't identify with pill poppers, slammers, nor people who snort cocaine. I put that stuff down, along with alcohol and pot, easily. It was crack that got me. Why I could put the powder down but not the crack, IDK. And, at first, I just felt I HAD to be different, in addiction, and the idea that I did not identify with these people, I really believe, helped my addiction to convince me I didn't have a problem and I continued using on and off for 6 more months.
BUT, I kept going back to NA and it clicked. Stop looking at the differences and focus on the similarities. These other people, they were ADDICTED to something.
And even though we can identify more, with others who share the same drug of choice, it doesn't mean we all go through the same process. Some physical withdrawals are WAY different for opiate addicts. From whom I've talked too, I had worse physical withdrawals from crack than anyone else I've met who is addicted to crack. Many people were put in NA via the court system. I was never arrested. Many females, I've talked to, in and out of the rooms, sold themselves for their drugs. I never did. Many people stole, and so did I! Many people sold their things. So did I. Many people neglected their friends and family. So did I. Many people lost jobs due to their drug abuse. So did I.
See where I am going with similarities? I started out focused on the differences. I ended up seeing, and am still learning and seeing, the similarities.
WE all got to those rooms in many different ways, addicted to something different. We come together when we share and relate in other ways, listen to each other, and don't forget that hug!
And, of course, stick around long enough and you WILL hear your story, repeated from another person's mouth. I believe that!
Like I said, I don't believe in the seperatist thing. I believe we all should welcome each other. Be respectful, like Augustwest said.
And AAboston, what you said was beautiful. Thank you for letting us know that people try. Not always succeed, but progress and try. I appreciate that.
What you and Augustwest have stated means far more and is far better than I can put into words. It means a lot. Thank you!