View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

The way I look at it is I didn't have a problem with alcohol before crack cocaine. I feel I can drink if I want to. And haven't done so in a year. I have no desire to. I choose not to. At first, in early recovery, I ws afraid to. I was afraid if I got a buzz off of alcohol, I'd be right back on crack. Since I took that first hit, of crack, while drunk.
I got drunk very rarely. The Irish and German in me gives me a strong tolerance. I don't feel anything from one or two tall beers (never have- and we're talking Amber Boch, not that Budweiser and yellow crap). And though I started out afraid to drink, I continue to not to so because it simply doesn't matter. But I am also not willing to commit to never drinking again. If I wanna, I can, and I know that I can do it safely. This is JUST me. Not trying to encourage anyone else to try it.
Anyway, why don't I want to commit? Because I don't want to. Just like I have no desire to stop smoking cigs. I've been through worse and I won't sweat small stuff (to me).
Everyone else's recovery experience CAN and DOES differ. And I totally respect it.