Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Settled in life now... but want to progress but fearful.

Hi, I have reached the stage now at nearly 7 months where I have a steady job, car, future plans nicely in place, feeling stable, feeling more confident and self-esteem ever increasing, looking good etc.

Basically I have reached a status quo where everything is going steadily well but I have reached the stage where I feel like I could now work on getting a life outside the stable "recovery" life that I have built up ie- dating girls.

I am at the stage where I would like to progress to maybe thinking about getting a girl to just give me the next level of my life basically. I want some companion to give me stuff to do outside work etc. Don't get me wrong I ain't at all wishing for this or hung up on it but obviously at work I get some attention and I could pursue this tbh but I am fearful and a little apprehenive and don't really know what to do in many ways. And BTW this aint a "ask your sponsor thread"!! LOL.

I am conscious that pursuing a girl or whatever is bringing my own self-will back into the equation and don't want to also put myself at any risk bearing in mind that I am a recovering alcoholic.

I suppose that it's great now that my "fear" isn't really related to drinking but in something which I have very little experience in tbh ie- dating girls. I was always plastered tbh and used to meet them whilst drinking/drugging.

I guess it shows where I've gotten to. I guess its the fear of the unknown that is the scary part as I don't want to get hurt or put myself at risk or anything.

Anyway I thought I would post it here as I find it therapeutic to type out where I'm at and I'm sure this is not an unusual stage in recovery as it's sort of like emerging from the cotton-wool protected life of recovery and into the unknown.

Peace and Love xxx