View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ago

Huh

I thought clean and sober was clean and sober

some people call "sober" only drinking moderately

some people think pot is harmless and even beneficial to "sobriety" which strangely enough I thought was abstinence from mind and mood altering drugs

some people have opinions that "jive", which I thought went out with the movie "Shaft" while others have opinions that "jibe"

jive: definition

transitive verb, intransitive verb jived, jiving jiv′·ing
Slang to speak (to) in a way that is exaggerated, insincere, flippant, etc., esp. in trying to fool or mislead

jibe definition

intransitive verb jibed, jibing jib′·ing

1. to shift from one side of a ship to the other when the stern passes across a following or quartering wind: said of a fore-and-aft sail or its boom
2. to change the course of a ship so that the sails shift thus
3. Informal: to be in harmony, agreement, or accord: often with with accounts that don't jibe

So if we can't even agree with what a one syllable word consisting of only four letters means no wonder we have trouble with two syllable words and abstract concepts here such as:

Clean and Sober:

Clean refers to living without using drugs. Sober is used in the same context. However, the definition of “Sober,” also reveals a path, and a desired character. A path, and character, prescribed and modeled, by the founders of the 12 Step Fellowships. A path, and character, prescribed for spiritual living. Let us begin with the basics. Following is the dictionary definition for “Sober:”
1. Habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic liquors or drugs; temperate.
2. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of drugs.
3. Plain or subdued: sober attire.
4. Devoid of frivolity, excess, exaggeration, or speculative imagination; straightforward: gave a sober assessment of the situation.
5. Marked by seriousness, gravity, or solemnity of conduct or character. Marked by circumspection and self-restraint.

The first, and second, parts of the above definition are about abstinence. The other three parts describe attributes. The person that displays these attributes is Sober, not just abstinent from chemicals, not just clean. His, or her, Sobriety is manifested in “all their affairs:”This person practices Sobriety, with a capital S.

This Sobriety with a capital S is manifested in the way people live their lives, not in what they say. Sobriety is life lived in the pursuit of simplicity, and “serenity;” a way of life that avoids “excess.” For excess is the way of addiction. Addiction is excess in everything. Excess in using chemicals, and in exaggerated thinking, and behaving. The addict is addicted to extremes, and drama, as much as he, or she, is addicted to a chemical. To incorporate the above described attributes into a Sober character is the antidote for addiction And, the acquisition of this character is the foundation of recovery.
Pot doesn't help with being "clean and sober" because by definition, doing drugs is neither, pot can help those feelings of anxiety, but that is using one drug to combat the effects of another, which, by definition, is neither clean nor sober.

Voting on what a word means doesn't change the meaning of that word, I can decide that poopybutt is a term of endearment and have a vote and a poll but it has no bearing on what the word means nor is the word subject to change just because I want it to mean "lovable"

Words mean what they mean

I'm with you Andy, this is confizzling