View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I will share with you what a counselor in detox suggested to me, he asked me if I was willing to spend as much time working on my recovery as I did drinking?

Well I drank every day from at least 1 PM until oblivion or bed.

For me it was easy to fit all that in once I no longer spent any time drinking.

Full time work - I managed that while drinking.

commute - Well I have a 45 minute commute so I handle prayer, some relaxation, & sometimes because traffic is always light when I commute I even do a bit of meditation.

family - I started spending more "Quality" time with my family now, then I ever did while drunk, even with meetings. When I first got sober I went to at least one meeting a day and still spent real "Quality" time with my family.

kids - See above, but add in that when I take them on vacation or fishing I am not drinking, I am spending sober time with them.

caring for sick relatives - I do not have any right now, but if I did I am sure I could fit in some prayer & meditation and I would actually be doing service work. (Service work is not limited to AA)

housework - Most of it is mundane enough to allow for prayer & meditation.

cooking - Most of it is mundane enough to allow for prayer & meditation.

pets - Petting, feeding, & grooming them is relaxing if you really think about it.

meetings - I make the time no matter what, I get there a bit early when I can and sometimes squeeze in a bit of prayer & meditation.

It all seems hard at first, but in time I started to find time for all of it. Some folks get up 1/2 hour early for meditation & prayer. It is far easier to get up a bit early when one is not hung over.

Give it time, pay attention to your day, you will find your self starting to find time you were just not using fully.