Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

[QUOTE=JasperFan;2501926]I'm not an addict but I definitely have a drinking problem.

I have anxiety related depression, post viral fatigue and I hate my job. QUOTE]

Some wisdom that I picked up from a meeting a while back was from a bloke with about 8 years of sobriety who goes into rehabs/treatment centers to chair meetings etc.

He said that the common theme is that there is always a BUT when people are talking about why they are sitting in a treatment center/rehab. ie- I drink too much BUT I'm not an alcoholic... or I maybe an alclholic BUT you'd drink if you'd had the childhood that I had or You'd drink if you suffered from the depression that I suffered with.

Basically the BUT is denial at work. I used to do the same seeing drinking as medicine that other people would drink like me if they felt the depression or whatever that I felt. It was all denial at work and it kept me drinking.

I never used to be able to refer to myself as an alcoholic either and could come up with many excuses why I weren't an alcoholic and that it was all semantics and B*llshit anyway. Guess what? I returned back to drinking again a few weeks later because I needed my medicine again as afterall I deserved it feeling like I felt.

It wasn't untill I accepted what I am ie- an alcoholic, that things really changed. I could then start my new life recovering from my alcoholism. I accept that I cannot drink alcohol on a daily basis and my life is moulded around this concept. Once I came to terms with this I could begin to 'recover' working AA/SR and much wisdom from elsewhere too.

Peace