View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Ago

Is alcoholism a disease?

Well it helps to know what a disease is first:

# An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disease

# dis-ease - Lack of a feeling of ease; uneasiness
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dis-ease

# a state in which a function or part of the body is no longer in a healthy condition.
www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/microbes/glossary.htm

# an illness
Walden University - TeacherVision.com

# A process that is a hazard to health and/or longevity.

Morbid Obesity and Bariatric Surgery Glossary - BariatricEdge.com

# a pathological condition that is cross-culturally defined and recognized.
oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth370/gloss.html

dis·ease (d-zz)
n.
1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

dis⋅ease
  /dɪˈziz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-zeez] Show IPA noun, verb, -eased, -eas⋅ing.
Use disease in a Sentence
See images of disease
Search disease on the Web
–noun
1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.
2. any abnormal condition in a plant that interferes with its vital physiological processes, caused by pathogenic microorganisms, parasites, unfavorable environmental, genetic, or nutritional factors, etc.
3. any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society: His fascination with executions is a disease.

Word Origin & History

disease
c.1330, "discomfort," from O.Fr. desaise, from des- "without, away" + aise "ease" (see ease). Sense of "sickness, illness" first recorded 1393; the word still sometimes was used in its lit. sense early 17c.
Would you characterize alcoholism as an unhealthy condition of mind or body characterized by certain signs and symptoms

If so, it's a disease

Is alcoholism an unhealthy condition of mind or body?

check

Is alcoholism characterized by certain signs and symptoms?

check

However, for example I can discuss diabetes and whether it is a disease or not until I am blue in the face and it won't help me in the slightest, or I can take the necessary action to put my diabetes in remission. My opinion on whether diabetes is a disease or not is a moot point and unimportant to it's cure.