View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
viavai

Chainy:

I hear you--and I have almost 4 years! I have one very close AA friend (because she is the most normal, awesome, flawed, and real person I know), and the rest are really acquaintances--though I definitely appreciate and embrace the support of the community of AA. I find that I don't need alot of friends, but I do need that "click" that comes with special connections to my fellow human beings.

The great thing is that sobriety has allowed me to have so many more friends than AA friends. Sobriety allowed me to go back to school (grad), so I experience great "click" with my classmates and our shared interests. Sobriety has allowed me to experience great (and new) workplace environments, so I have great friends from those experiences as well.

Be patient, and explore all your options. You'll hear time and again that volunteering is a great release from the focus on self: It's true. It's not just about connecting with the people you help, but it's a great way to meet a whole wide variety of people: pastry chefs, secretaries, doctors, novelists, computer wizards (like robotics engineers), housewives, university professors, and more.

You'll find your way, I assure you. And you never have to be lonely when you connect with us here on SR! Start conversations (threads like this one). Jump into life--you are about to experience the best that it has to offer.