Thread: Hi I'm new
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stu

Hi I'm new

I'm 30 years old and I guess I've had a problem now for just under 10 years.

It really all started after I moved back home after having my own place for a year. I quit work due to stress and ended up staying at home most of the time. I started to drink in small quantities to begin with. I'd started to dabble in req drugs towards the end of my job and things just went from bad to worse. I was out of work for approx 1 year. Not due to drugs or drink but due to depression.

I got another job at a major company in the UK and quickly became a supervisor within the company. I was working very long and gruelling shifts which didn't finish until after midnight each day. I managed to quit the pills I was taking but the alcohol took hold. I started to drink regularly regardless of time of day, I even slept through a Christmas day because I'd drunk the best part of 24 beers on Christmas Eve after work.

I met my wife over the internet and to cut a long story short we ended up living together and getting married, moving home and having a gorgeous little girl. All the time I was drinking almost every day.

I quit in June of last year for around a month. Sadly I ended up slipping again and I carried on until the start of this year.

I've been dry for 3 weeks, until today when I bought a few beers. I didn't really want to buy or drink them, I felt a little let down when I did buy them. I'm sitting here now wishing I hadn't bought them and how much better it is being sober. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can stay dry again and carry on where I left off today.

Sorry to rant but I'm new and I've never really been able to admit my problem to anyone other than my wife and my brother.