View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saphie

Need_co-worker_advise

I have mentioned before that I have a very active alcoholic co-worker and I've taken your advise in the past not to confront him about his out of control drinking. He knows I am in recovery and he knows where I am.

Well he is progressing at lightning speed. His days off have extended to two days plus per week every week. He can't balance his body anymore because of the shakes and tremors. I have discussed this confidentially with my Director, who is a very nice understanding man; however I was surprised to hear that he is not going to consider terminating his employment, because he is really worried it might push the guy over the edge and he'll die even sooner. He said he had all the usual talks with him and he denying that he even has a drinking problem (surprise, surprise).

Now, my question is: Is my director right in letting him continue without any consequences, is he enabling him to carry on drinking. I'm so confused over this. Of course I feel the most sympathy for him, because I've been there and I want to help, but I think ........well actually I don't know what to think.
Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.