View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

It is RIGHT now at this moment I just realized how much I want a sponsor.
Having a sponsor and taking the steps with him saved me. I for now would suggest that you ask a lady to be your "Temporary" sponsor to start with. The "Temporary" eleminates any obligations on you or her. Speak at length with her, ask her what she feels you should look for in a sponsor, let her know what you would like in a sponsor.

The most important thing I found I needed to have in my sponsor was "Trust", I needed to know that what ever I spoke about with my sponsor stayed between the 2 of us.

I did not seek out some one to be a friend or buddy, I sought out some one who had thier act together, who not only talked the talk, but walked the walk!

Next meeting you go to perhaps should be either a newcomers meeting or a ladies meeting, when they ask for a topic, speak up, simply say "Hi I am Jan and I am seeking a sponsor and would like to hear what I should look for in a sponsor & how I go about getting one."

I can assure you that you will learn a great deal about sponsors and will stand a strong possibilty of having a sponsor after the meeting ends.

One VERY important thing to keep in mind is you decide who will be your sponsor, if you get a sponsor and things just do not seem to be right, as tough as this may sound, just tell her things do not seem to be right and ask if she will help you find a sponsor that may be a better fit.

Trust me, any one with good recovery will not be hurt by you seeking another sponsor, they will understand. I have had a "Temporary" sponsor and now have had the same sponsor for 3 years, I am considering getting another sponsor, not because there is anything wrong really with my present sponsor, but I simply feel I would like some one elses take on things.