Thread: About me
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Luis welcome to SR, being 18 makes getting clean and sober pretty tough, your addicition will start telling you stuff like "Hey, I am only 18, what is wrong with getting high some times?", "Hey you are young, you can handle this if you want to."

Your addiction will work very hard at convincing you that it is not that big a deal, or you are not really addicted, you can handle this if you want to no matter what age you are, but at 18 it has an additional weapon, your youth!!!!

I am an alcoholic and far from being a spring chicken, an old, old rooster would be me, but I know personally 2 young men in AA that successfully for over a year been clean & sober. One of these young men got clean and sober at 16!! He sounds as though he was a lot like you, if he wasn't smoking dope or drinking he was popping or snorting pills, he just did not care until it started to ruin his family life, personal life, academic life as well as his athletic life.

He went through rehab and then straight into NA & AA, I knew him when he first came to AA, he was a hot mess.................... but he wanted to be clean and sober far more then he wanted to live wasted. He got help & support from everyone in AA that knew him & I assume NA as well.

He followed suggestions given to him, he went to lots of meetings, he got a sponsor and he took the steps, he has made a ton of clean and sober friends, he no longer hangs out with the using and drinking crowd.

I really do love to see his smiling face when I see him at meetings now, it makes me happy to know that he is not letting his youth slip away in a cloud of alcohol & drugs like I did. (Mine was mainly alcohol but I smoked my fair share of dope when I was young, alcohol was my ultmate down fall.

I just want you to know that there are plenty of people about your age in AA & NA, there is hope, do not throw in the towel.