Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
humblestudent

Question For those in early recovery...curious about if/when/how you told your friends?

Hi all. I'm on day 30 today. My H and I have friends who love love love to drink. It's part of every social event, and a big part. I was/am known as the person who always gets totally hammered, etc. - though in reality, they all are, I'm just the one who blacks out the most (I think).

Anyway, I have seen various sub sets of these people several times in the past month. I know they know something is up with me, as I am making these strange excuses for not drinking. It's just not the person they know. At first, I was not going to tell them because I thought it was too much pressure and I didn't want to fail. After further honest consideration, I think really I didn't want to tell them because it would make "it" official. And it would really ruin any future drinking option I might have had...you know, the old, "What if I'm really not an alcoholic?" thing. And maybe at some point, not today you understand...but in a few months, I can drink again after having thoroughly learned my lesson and paid my penance. I know that's the addiction talking - but that line of thinking is mighty seductive.

Another reason I didn't want to fess up was because it feels very embarrassing. And yes, I know that being obliterated in their presence every weekend was embarrassing too, but you know what I mean. I actually have to admit it now. Have to say the words sober.

So, for those of you who told your friends, how did it feel? Relieving? Or Embarrassing or did you wish you didn't? Why?

How did you tell them?

How did they react? Were they shocked? Were they trying to talk you out of it? Were they relieved? Did they say, "What took you so long?" Did they suddenly act weird around you?

Thank you...