View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Eroica

Depression is not a disease. It's not like all scientists have a consenus that it is a disease. You can't diagnose someone as depressed until you witness their behavior and hear what they have to say. But if it was a real disease, there would be some biological marker-like a pink spot in the brain that all depressed people have. But that is not true. We have no idea if someone is depressed or not until they tell us. There are no tests to run for it.

Depression is a natural reaction to our surroundings. An extreme example would be Holocaust survivors. We would expect them to be depressed. Its absolutely ludicrous to say that they're suffering from a disease. Anyone would be depressed in those circumstamces.

Who decides when someone is "too" depressed? "Too" anxious? Don't people understand these are value judgments-the psychiatrist in essence has taken the role of the priest in the 21st century-telling us how to live.

Can I say I'm chronically lazy and be considered "diseased"? lol Then I can call into work and say, I'm sory, can't come in today, I'm suffering from procrastinz ( a disease characterized by laziness and procrastination).