View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad You found us Jan and I'm glad you decided to go to a Meeting. Like someone else said, you can go to a Meeting by yourself, but I understand the first time you being a little scared. Hopefully your friend will have a few things click in her head as well. But just make sure that you focus on your Recovery and not hers. If she decides to not go back, I hope you don't let that influence you. You have to be selfish to a certain extent in Recovery. . . this is your life, not anyone elses. When my partying friends found out I was done with the drugs and alcohol and going to Meetings, they did everything to convince me I was fine, I didn't need to quit. After all, weren't we all having fun? I didn't think still being half drunk going into work was fun. It wasn't fun not remembering what I did the night before. Spending a ton of money in one night, just to have the hangover from hell wasn't fun to me. I sure could relate to the part where you said you'd stop to have 1 or 2 drinks and then leave. I always either closed down the bar or got so drunk that someone had to take me home.

I hope you come back and let us know what you thought about the Meeting. If the first one wasn't your cup of tea, try another one. Not all Meetings are for everyone. I encourage you to go to Beginners Meetings. There are always people with a good amt of Sobriety who come to Beginners Meetings to help the Newcomer on their way, to share their experience, strength and hope. Get other women's phone numbers so when the urge hits to drink, you can give them a call. After all, that's why they come to Beginners Meetings because if they want to keep what they have, they have to give it away. They all were where you are right now.

God Bless,
Judy