View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Roadr440

Welcome to SR,

I can relate to your story, I woke up this morning thinking back almost 1 year ago today what my life use to be like. It was as soon as I got up on a Saturday or Sunday it was go out to my garage and sneak a couple beers before my wife got up just to get started and to take the shakes away from the night before, i to was a long time drinker, then it was off to the pub with my friends for a full day of drinking, thank God I'm not that same person. And i was just like you years ago it was happy hour after work on Fridays then it was drinking every night until it got way out of hand.

I'm just telling you this because I know you are at the very beginning of a difficult journey if you want to stop drinking as you say "to stop drinking for you family", but you have to want this for yourself!!!! Admitting that you have a problem is a huge step in the right direction.

I know as you say your scared to stop, I was to and I had to stop for my family to and myself. My experience was I went into detox for 3 days only because i new i could not do this on my own and i strongly urge you to see a doctor as soon as possible to withdraw from alcohol safely under a doctor's supervision. You should not undertake withdrawal on your own, as doing so can be very dangerous. After i detox safely, i need additional support to maintain sobriety and this was inpatient clinic for me, please Check out the different programs available to you, such as AA or SMART. Reaching out for help is the best way to approach addiction.

Good luck to you and hope stick around, lots of support here..