View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Hi Trqtort,

Originally Posted by trqtort View Post
For now, I'm looking for answers to this question: What have you done to stay sober, healthy and happy? What gives you the ability to enjoy life? What gives you the ability to deal with the chaos and frustration of daily reality?
For me it has to be the 12 Steps. When I am working the 12 Steps I feel happy, at peace, serene, I enjoy life and I easily manage the 'chaos' of daily life.

If I am not working ALL of the 12 steps, it's a different story.......

I'm a compulsive overeater/carb addict, been OA since 1999. Having realised I am powerless over alcohol, I have now quit drinking and go to AA.

I've learned (the hard way) that my addiction to food and alcohol is one and the same. I have to put them side by side on a list, not one in front of the other. I tried for quite some time to list one in front of the other, debating all the time which I was most addicted to, which was my real problem.

While I focused on recovery from my No.1 addiction, No.2. sneaked its way in and got me using No.1 again. It was wicked viscious cycle into despair and dangerous games with my blood sugar where I would starve myself then ingest large quantites of alcohol very quickly so my blood sugar was really low for maximum effect and then quickly binge on sugar and carbs in a matter or a few minutes so my blood sugar went sky high and I passed out unconsciousness. Thank God the insanity brought me to my knees before it killed me.

So today I just don't drink alcohol. With the food it is a bit more complicated with rules etc, but basically I don't eat carbs (most), sugars, processed foods or anything which causes me physical cravings. I truly believe that this disease of the body and the mind and I must eliminate the physical craving for food before I can deal with the obsession of the mind.

Weight has always been an issue for me. When I am carrying extra its a sign that I am not abstinent or 'using' food. After a huge loss when I first got recovery in OA, I did gain a bit when the alcohol became a problem and sneaked the food back in.

I was originally 17 stone (238lb) and my recovered weight before the booze took a hold was 9st 11lb (137lb), so it was a big loss at 101lbs. Three weeks after quitting the booze and being abstinent again I am 1 stone (14lbs) heavier than that but its on its way down again.

I feel great. In the last 3 weeks I have been the most serene and peaceful I have ever felt ever despite experiencing recovery before.......it really is a journey. It's all down to the 12 Steps and not drinking and abstinant (from overeating).

It must be difficult with the Biopolar.I live in a country where healthcare is free so I can't imagine what it would be like to not get the meds you need.

You have done really well to stay sober and abstinence this time. I hope to you find a programme of recovery which suits you. If you need to talk, I'm here.
Take care.