View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trqtort

Stepping out of my shell . . .

Hello to everybody and thank you for a warm welcome!

I am bipolar, alcoholic, smoker and compulsive overeater. I haven't taken bipolar meds (laid off work, not enough budget to cover it) since September 2009, quit smoking October 2009, quit drinking Dec*13, 2009, and last but not least, started abstinence from compulsive overeating Jan 4, 2010.

I've been clean and sober for periods of time many times before but keep going back to my addictions when I reach a certain point of recovery. During those periods of sobriety, I've sought for help through Religion, AA, OA, Psychiatry, Counseling, Self-Help Books, and supportive friends and family, which have all resulted in staying out of legal, relationship or financial troubles, but haven't really helped with my life-long search for peace of mind and serenity.

So I'm back on the road of recovery again, using all the tools I have to stay clean and sober and trying not to beat myself up for the failures of the past. For now, I'm looking for answers to this question: What have you done to stay sober, healthy and happy? What gives you the ability to enjoy life? What gives you the ability to deal with the chaos and frustration of daily reality?

Thank you for the opportunity to share what's going on, maybe a first step in the right direction?