View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Are your siblings alcoholics though? Are you an alcohlic?

I find that my acceptance of the fact that I am an alcoholic and that my siblings/peers or whoever else aren't helps keep me grounded as to the fact that I am not like them when it comes to "having fun drinking". They will not be powerless over drinking to blackout once they start and they will not be waking reaching for a drink and not remembering wtf happened lst night. The flashbacks of the previous lost 3-4 hours will haunt me for a couple of days after. Basically there is no happy ending for me and drinking just alcoholic oblivion and total and utter chaos and destruction.

A night "having fun drinking" for me would likely result in the loss of my job, car, family, happiness, freedom and most importantly hope because it would mean I would be a drunk again as opposed to a recovering alcoholic and I couldn;t cope with that.

Like Dee advises think that "fun" through and think where it will really take you. I remember waking in a police cell and not feeling like too much fun. That is the difference.

It will pass and you'll come out stronger for it.