Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Originally Posted by BrotherIsLoser View Post

I disagree completely about addiction. You seem to believe it is about having no control. However, does an addict not willfuly pick up that beer bottle? Joint? Needle? etc. Each and every time a choice is made - use.
Actually, we ARE out of control, when addicted. Non-addicts have, at first, this ill-conceived notion that we can put it down at any time. If this were true, then why don't we? Simply because we don't want to? Many drugs have physical side effects. We get ill when we put them down, because we're hooked on them. The FIRST one, and maybe even the second one, or third one, we made a choice.. But once we were hooked (addicted), then it no longer became a choice. We became slaves to our drug of choice. It got out of control. Would a sane, rational, able to control their drug use, person sell 4 vehicles, lose their home, empty a 6 figure bank account, run up all their credit cards, and sell precious heirlooms, jewelry, and nearly everything they own, for drugs? Of course not. But I did. For crack cocaine.
I am not going to beat my head against the wall on this, really. It appears, from further reading, to me you may not have desire to help him. It appears you want attention for yourself because brother is getting his way at home, and brother is using drugs. Another guess, and I could be totally wrong. But it is just really appearing that way. With all the ranting and raving you are doing. It is just so much anger.
And no more can we make you do anything, than you can your brother, but I really do think you need to MOVE OUT, SEEK therapy or treatment FOR YOURSELF, and move on. Maybe, once things have settled down, you might be able to see things a different way, or maybe not. Either way, at least you'd be happier, on some level, away from your brother...