Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Originally Posted by BrotherIsLoser View Post
jkm1201: Empathy and understanding? He is extremely selfish! He is the one causing all the family drama. He is the one who ruins birthdays, and holidays. My parents have tried to get him help. He bitches all the time for some reason, about anything and everything, but when offered help he doesn't do anything with it. As far as I'm concerned, he's had his chance. I'm done with him, and other siblings have also given up on him. It's time to worry more about myself. I cannot feel empathy or sorry for someone who every single day dies a little, by choice.

As for the others who say that I should move out: Why should I be the one to leave? He is the problem. Not me. If he stays with my parents, with me or not, he will bleed them dry - emotionally and financially.
It sounds as though you have a LOT (and I MEAN A LOT) of anger. So it IS time to worry about yourself. It appears you have more problems, emotionally, to deal with than what you can handle, as the lashing out, on this forum, is phenominal.
Why should you move out? Because, in REALTITY, YOU are the one with the problem. You can't stand your brother. You can't stand the pot. You can't stand the b****in and moanin. You say you're done with him. You KNOW he's not going anywhere, so why stay and torture yourself? Out of some righteous idignation? Really? It appears, to me, you are staying, in spite of your brother, then want sympathy because you "have to be there." You won't get it from most other addicts. We understand your brother's POV better than your own. I sure hope you have checked into the friend's and family forum or alanon/naranon meetings. It really appears they would benefit you a great deal.
Maybe help you realize that you are making a martyr of yourself without good reason. It may also help you realize that you are not as done with your brother as you say you are. You have reached out, for help. I feel it is just your anger and frustration that blocks the rest of your emotions and clouds your mind...
Just my guess.