View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Eroica

I hope it's an actual disease so then there can one day be some kind of genetic treatment for it-like take a pill or shot and boom you're cured of the desire forever. I mean, if that were the case, who wouldnt want to be able to enjoy a beer now and then without going overboard, just by taking a shot once when you realize you have a problem.

But addiction/alcoholism is presented not as a biological disease, but as a mental disorder-like a type of insanity. Is being insane a disease? Are sociopaths diseased? The trouble with psychology is that its so hard to prove symptoms that everyone must suffer from, and then you can only speculate at the causes (and arbitrarily make up a name for the "symptoms"-like "schizophrenia"). I'm not a doctor, but to be a diabetic, you must have some kind of insulin abnormality (sorry for my ignorance about diabetes) that applies to everyone. You either have diabetes or you don't.

I think psychology is valuable, but some things about it bother me-like how is depression a disease? Yes, its bad to be depressed and if you are then you should get treatment for it but again there is no way to establish a cause or symptoms that can be measured. A scientist measures things-a psychiatrist gives a "professional opinion".