View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
joedris

Rob, I feel your pain. I owned a restaurant for 17 years and I know how hard a business it is. I was fortunate enough to have succeeded and eventually sold the place but it was a very hard 17 years. I know how hard you worked and understand the disappointment you must feel is losing the business.

You're in a dangerous place right now. Everything is going badly and the stress level is maxing out. And this stress can lead you back to drinking if it isn't dealt with quickly. My experience here is to draw on the emotional sobriety I've developed by living the 12 steps. And some of the tools I've picked up include talking to people. Go to a lot of meetings - you certainly have the time. (and I'm not trying to be a smartass here). Talk to others. This is the single best thing I've learned to do. Then while you're talking to other people, talk to your higher power. Ask for guidance as to His will for you. I've been around a long time and over the years have come to realize that I seldom got what I asked Him for, but I always got what I needed. Funny how that worked out.

Then I suggest you keep doing what you're doing. But you need to be patient. Something will turn up, believe me. When I sold my place I wanted to go back to work and it took me 4 years, in a good economy, to land a job. And I wasn't choosy, either. But I ended up landing the best job I ever had. Like I said, I didn't necessarily always get what I wanted, but I certainly got what I needed. And during that 4 year lapse I went to a lot of meetings and talked to a lot of people. Like you, I need to vent. I also burned through all the profit I made in selling my place so I was pretty broke. I wouldn't have hesitated to move in with my parents if it were an option. The bills pile up and we just do the best we can.

I hope some of this ramble makes sense to you. You're in a tough place than can be a dangerous place, too. But you'll make it, just be patient. And you may want to try some of the stuff I did to get through the hard times. As you've said, drinking certainly isn't the answer.