View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
joedris

I realize that my original response was pretty blunt and it was meant to be. But we're dealing with a very serious subject here: Honesty. We all recognize the importance of and often lack of anonymity in meetings today. But that's been going on forever and it's just something we have to deal with. My whole point to Freshclay is that by going out of town to pick up a white chip, he's being dishonest to his home group. (And yes, the reference to "back alleys" was a very poor choice of words.) These people believe that he has five years of sobriety. He doesn't, and he isn't going to correct that belief. I understand his rationale behind his decision, but again let me say that I don't agree with it.

I think I have two problems with this whole thing. The first is understanding what kind of home group would penalize a member by financially ruining him? What kind of group would ever hold it against someone who comes clean and clarifies that he hasn't been completely honest? And what kind of sponsor would actually suggest that he pick up a white chip somewhere else and keep the whole thing a secret? I'm truly baffled here.

Freshclay, this issue has nothing to do with "except when to do so would harm them...." That, Sir, is dealing with making amends. I would suggest that you read that part of pg. 59 of the Big Book (1st Edition, of course) where it states "Half measures availed us nothing." or the top of pg 58 where it discusses a manner of living that demands rigorous honesty. You are the one that has to make the final decision in this matter. And it's not just a question of where you pick a white chip, it's a question of you and honesty. It's also a question, I feel, of do you want to continue to belong to a group that would penalize rather that help you; and do you want a sponsor who encourages you to take half measures?