View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mfrankl6

Originally Posted by clifty2 View Post
Hi mfrank. Your wife's story sounds similar to mine. I am curious about the counselling as my husband has suggested that for us and I am resisting it like the plague!! Fear is stopping me and also the embarrasment of talking together to a counsellor. I have had two major bereavements in my life and to be honest I would rather talk about that in counselling than the drink issue!!! I know it's avoidance but also some denial on my part. Do you think your wife was totally honest at the counselling or was she also in denial? I know it's something that I have to address but maybe just not yet. Also did the counselling help or did it bring more resentment to your wife? Would love to know more about what marriage counselling is like before I would agree to embark on that journey. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks
I believe anything that will possibly bring more light to the subject matter is a plus. Allow yourself to be enlightened! As for my wife I am not sure how genuine she is. I know its a relief for me because I am finding I have lots to say in these meetings. Things she won't even think about discussing when we are home. Look at it as a mediator or open third party that can listen to both persons issues. Going to counseling has gotten her to accept something is wrong and now per the counselors recommendation she has an appointment to see a psychiatrist tomorrow. She mentioned depression was the root of this evil. I am curious to what the psychiatrist will tell my wife.