View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rdav74

sneaky triggers!

Hello all, Happy Tuesday,
Made it through the weekend without much incident. One thought that stood out for me personally is the sneaky power that triggers can have on you. I was thinking of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons where Jerry gets hypnotized by the aroma of food and he follows it in a catatonic state. I went back home to my folks house with my son and cooked dinner with them. Both my mother and father drink wine with dinner and right before we ate my father opened a bottle.
It was funny how quickly my mind raced to all the "good" aspects of what that bottle of pinot noir would have on the dinner and was fantasizing about its aroma, body, etc... Once I snapped out of it, grabbed my faithful cranberry lime seltzer the spell was over, but boy oh boy.
I will never speak for anyone but myself--I feel the power of the my addictive mind and its ability to forget all the bad (which outways 99% to 1) to the good is like an athletes body--it must be nourished and kept in shape daily.
On a positive note, I physically am starting to feel much better and have noticed my ability to concentrate and focus starting to improve. One day at a time, here and now. Would love to hear any stories on triggers and the ability to cope with them
Rob D