View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by newstartwanted View Post
I have a problem with will power I think!
Welcome, newstartwanted. I hope this time works out for you.

If I take a little liberty with AA's definittion of alcoholism, I can define it as, 'If I find I lack sufficient willpower to give up drinking entirely, ...I'm probably alcoholic.'

That lack of willpower isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. I just needed to know whether it was true or not. To find out if I had sufficient willpower to recover, all I had to do was look at my past experience with trying to stop drinking and stay stopped.

In that experience, looked at honestly, my willpower concerning booze was amazingly weakened. The methods I tried to quit were Dr.'s, drugs, counseling, outpatient treatment, inpatient rehab, AA without any spiritual action, and countless times trying willpower on its own. Everything failed for me.

With that hard evidence, I had to fearlessly face the fact that I lacked the willpower. When I gave up that notion and admitted defeat, and asked for help, someone showed me how to take the 12 Steps and get the sufficient power in my life. I've been sober ever since, and pretty darn happy about it.