View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
littlefish

WELCOME TO SR!!!
I do hope you visit the friends and family forum, you will get lots of great information and advice.
As a recovering alcoholic (wife and mother) myself, I would say without hesitation that until your wife reaches the point where she is sick and tired of drinking and wants to quit drinking, for herself and no one else, things will not improve. Unfortunately alcoholism is a progressive disease and sadly, things may get a lot worse before they get better, if they get better.

she has been extremely blessed to not be sitting behind bars right now but the accident has caused me to be blamed for the accidents being everything is in my name.
I second everything that CrackQuack said in the previous post. If she is using a car registered to you and insured by you, I would make it clear she cannot drink and drive that car. Period. And you can also tell her you will report her to the police if she drives drunk. Is that an unkind threat? Not at all: you could be saving her life and the lives of innocent people.

Give her good advice when she was drunk and she would listen now she will do the complete opposite.
I would not recommend talking to her about anything important when she is drunk: it's pointless. She is in an altered state and may not even remember what you have to say when she wakes up the next day.
And, I am sorry if this is tough talk, but you are probably in a codependent relationship with her and can't really give her proper advice anymore: you are both caught up in addictive behavior.

Please check out alanon: it is an organization with millions of people who are in the exact same situation as you. You are facing a lot of serious economic and relationship problems and alanon is a great support network that can help you navigate through all of that.