Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AlwaysGrowing

Originally Posted by PurpleAshes View Post
Hey, I'm new to the site and to sober life. I'm 21 years old and have been sober for 18 days. I've decided I need to join a community that supported eachother since I'm getting little support from anyone else in my life.

I've been reading other posts from new people and most of them say how great they feel being sober. Unfortunately that is something I cannot relate to. My friends don't understand and call me lame and no fun anymore, my boyfriend seems to be in denial that I've decided to quit drinking and my family all doubt my ability to stay sober. Under these circumstances its getting harder and harder to feel good about my choice.

I know I'm doing the right thing for me. I can't control my drinking, one drink turns into 12, and "fun nights out" are blank spots in my memories. Everyone is telling me that I'm young and I'm suppose to be going to bars and having a good time. But, the good times ended a long time ago for me and I'm tired of waking up in the morning feeling bad about myself, or wondering if I did anything embarrassing the night befor.

Like I said, I know I'm doing the right thing for myself... it would just be nice if I had a little support from the people in my life.
Purple
I sobered up at 22 in the military where we all party almost every night. My friends didn't stop when I did but most of them didn't have a problem with control like I did.

I spent a lot of time in AA meetings and found my new groove (routine). While I still vistited with my friends I didn't hang out for hours and hours at a time. I visit or swing by for an hour. I mean I worked with these people.

In the rooms of AA I found others my age and I found a "Young Peoples" meeting which I made many friends from.

This is more of a male example, but if you hang out in the barber shop you will end up getting a hair cut. Meaning,, hang out with people that are drinking and ...... You get the idea. At some point we just pick up without a second thought.

I've now been sober 18 years and call tell you 100% I glad I found AA early. Save me tons of money, I have kids now and have been married for 13 years, and the house etc. Drinking I wouldn't have all this and be in jail or covered up from doing something stupid. I did drink and drive a lot back then. Don't have to worry any more about that.. Life is good!

Things to mull over. Take care and you are not too young!

AG