Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PurpleAshes

New here. 18 days sober and having a hard time.

Hey, I'm new to the site and to sober life. I'm 21 years old and have been sober for 18 days. I've decided I need to join a community that supported eachother since I'm getting little support from anyone else in my life.

I've been reading other posts from new people and most of them say how great they feel being sober. Unfortunately that is something I cannot relate to. My friends don't understand and call me lame and no fun anymore, my boyfriend seems to be in denial that I've decided to quit drinking and my family all doubt my ability to stay sober. Under these circumstances its getting harder and harder to feel good about my choice.

I know I'm doing the right thing for me. I can't control my drinking, one drink turns into 12, and "fun nights out" are blank spots in my memories. Everyone is telling me that I'm young and I'm suppose to be going to bars and having a good time. But, the good times ended a long time ago for me and I'm tired of waking up in the morning feeling bad about myself, or wondering if I did anything embarrassing the night befor.

Like I said, I know I'm doing the right thing for myself... it would just be nice if I had a little support from the people in my life.