View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LauraS

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
Laura - I am so happy that you're doing so well! You said something that struck me...that the guilt, shame and embarrassment are gone now. I'm feeling that way too, mostly. It's pretty amazing to me, because 3 weeks ago (I'm on day 22), I would've sworn that the awful feelings I harbored toward my self, my core being would possibly NEVER go away. Maybe it's because each day we're building our self-respect vs. tearing it away one drink or ten at a time?
Yes, I think that's true. I know that alcohol did lots of things to me and one of the worst was that it depressed me horribly.

The guilt and the shame that was built upon the stupid drunk stuff... well, that cycle is over and done now, and I know I never have to go there again. It's not that I don't have to work on where it came from or what all the drunk stuff created in my life, but I no longer have to keep adding to the pile. I can start cleaning it up, instead. That seems like a very good realization to come to, and it's certainly uplifting my spirits today!