View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LauraS

Thank you all! It is so great to have this group to come to. You all make all the difference.

Tonight I went with my husband to a little birthday party-- almost everyone there was drinking good champagne and beer, but I just sat there with my sparkling water in a glass and hung out, talking with whoever happened by, and reading a magazine.

The host of the party has been sober for many years, and we talked just a little bit about it after I told him I was on the wagon--again. He was telling me a bit about his own story and giving up drinking, relapsing, and having to give up again. I felt a little uncomfortable because we know him pretty well, and here I am basically admitting to my alkie friend and his wife that I am a drunk (not like they don't already know that, I guess) and that I've finally had enough, while there is all this drinking going on around us. I can't say I wouldn't have loved to have some of that champagne, but I guess having him there helped keep me sober tonight.

Home now, and feeling good that I got through it. One more day done, one day at a time.

((((hugs))))